Author Topic: Do you think there'll be any new tracks at the Christmas dates?  (Read 300 times)

Master Ray

  • Totally Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 9754
  • Keep it going, friends...
Do you think there'll be any new tracks at the Christmas dates?
« on: September 24, 2026, 07:56:18 PM »
I mean, it's been the best part of three years since Unbroken came out... be nice if we got some indication about what direction the next album might be heading.

Whilst we're talking about it, do you like hearing new tracks premiered at a live show, even if it might be a good long while before you get an official release?

Or whatever.  Just a random thought, trying to keep the Forum going...   ;)





... we might still get this Forum back to something like former glories!

Winterwulf

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 167
Re: Do you think there'll be any new tracks at the Christmas dates?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2026, 08:01:09 PM »
Whilst we're talking about it, do you like hearing new tracks premiered at a live show, even if it might be a good long while before you get an official release?

Yes, if they then do then appear on the next album - I was massively hacked off that "Knife" (played live in late '91) wasn't on "LoHC" when it came out and wondered what had happened to it, until it finally emerged on "Lost Songs".
"We are lost, we are freaks, we are crippled, we are weak
We are the heirs, we are the true heirs, to all the world"

huwcamden

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 188
Re: Do you think there'll be any new tracks at the Christmas dates?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2026, 07:35:12 AM »
Totally with you about "knife" winterwulf...it's a far better song than "understand you" or "afternoon song" and would have strengthened even further the collosus that was LOHC...And yes Master ray I love hearing a song live before it comes out on the album I remember hearing "long goodbye" and Wonderful way to go" at shepherds Bush empire in 97 or thereabouts and knew from then strange brotherhood would be a killer comeback.

Guillaume

  • Totally Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 1680
Re: Do you think there'll be any new tracks at the Christmas dates?
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2026, 06:23:34 PM »
I remember hearing "long goodbye" and Wonderful way to go" at shepherds Bush empire in 97 or thereabouts and knew from then strange brotherhood would be a killer comeback.

When NMA played in my small town in April 1995, they performed three songs from *Strange Brotherhood*—three years before the album was even released!:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/new-model-army/1995/hippodrome-devreux-navarre-evreux-france-5bc72b60.html

I seem to recall Justin saying that the recording process for *Strange Brotherhood* was a nightmare; the band had spent months (or was it years?) in the studio, and Justin and Robert Heaton no longer saw eye to eye on anything musically.

I checked the setlist.fm site, and usually, NMA plays a maximum of three/four songs from a new album in concert before the album is actually released—which usually happens a few weeks or months later. According to that same site, if the band  plays their final show of the year in December they then spend the beginning of the following year recording a new album... which is why I thought they would be recording a new album in early 2026—January, February, March, or April—but apparently, that’s not how it played out this time!  We're obviously eager for a new album, but the most important thing is that the band gives us beautiful songs, even if it takes them 5 years...it's better than an album that comes out quickly but is rushed.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2026, 06:32:53 PM by Guillaume »

Winterwulf

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 167
Re: Do you think there'll be any new tracks at the Christmas dates?
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2026, 08:29:34 PM »
When NMA played in my small town in April 1995, they performed three songs from *Strange Brotherhood*—three years before the album was even released!:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/new-model-army/1995/hippodrome-devreux-navarre-evreux-france-5bc72b60.html

Looking back at the Windsor Baths gig in Bradford from summer '95, that would have been my first hearing of "No Pain", "Over the Wire" and "Headlights", and the only time I saw "Burning Season" done live  -https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/new-model-army/1995/windsor-old-baths-bradford-england-4bc72b5a.html

Then there's my dodgy memory of Justin doing "Snelsmore Wood" solo at a Newbury benefit gig at the Underworld in Bradford well before the Strange Brotherhood tour and its place in the acoustic opener set, which could be my mind playing tricks on me thirty years later...
"We are lost, we are freaks, we are crippled, we are weak
We are the heirs, we are the true heirs, to all the world"

Master Ray

  • Totally Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 9754
  • Keep it going, friends...
Re: Do you think there'll be any new tracks at the Christmas dates?
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2026, 10:48:50 PM »
Loving these responses, thanks!

I do remember hearing States Radio premiered before its parent album came out... sadly I can't remember seeing as I used to drink a lot more before a show when I was a young man... similarly, I have a vague memory of Here Comes The War before TLOHC was released...
... we might still get this Forum back to something like former glories!

spstreeter

  • New
  • *
  • Posts: 13
Re: Do you think there'll be any new tracks at the Christmas dates?
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2026, 08:40:29 PM »
that would be awesome, would love to hear some new tunes.

I am planning on being at the Roundhouse show in December. I have been debating whether to make the trip across the pond for several years (I am from Boston) and finally decided to just go for it. I will be joined with my wife and daughter. I last saw them in Germany in 2019 and let's face it, none of us are getting any younger. So here is hoping that they play some new songs and of course, I would love to hear my personal favorite NMA song, "225".

Master Ray

  • Totally Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 9754
  • Keep it going, friends...
Re: Do you think there'll be any new tracks at the Christmas dates?
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2026, 10:56:10 PM »
that would be awesome, would love to hear some new tunes.

I am planning on being at the Roundhouse show in December. I have been debating whether to make the trip across the pond for several years (I am from Boston) and finally decided to just go for it. I will be joined with my wife and daughter. I last saw them in Germany in 2019 and let's face it, none of us are getting any younger. So here is hoping that they play some new songs and of course, I would love to hear my personal favorite NMA song, "225".

I'll be at that show, really looking forward to it!  And the wonderful Chameleons supporting as well!

If we can help in any way with your trip to London I'm sure myself or others on here will be happy to offer some assistance...  :)
... we might still get this Forum back to something like former glories!

spstreeter

  • New
  • *
  • Posts: 13
Re: Do you think there'll be any new tracks at the Christmas dates?
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2026, 01:14:22 PM »
that would be awesome, would love to hear some new tunes.

I am planning on being at the Roundhouse show in December. I have been debating whether to make the trip across the pond for several years (I am from Boston) and finally decided to just go for it. I will be joined with my wife and daughter. I last saw them in Germany in 2019 and let's face it, none of us are getting any younger. So here is hoping that they play some new songs and of course, I would love to hear my personal favorite NMA song, "225".

I'll be at that show, really looking forward to it!  And the wonderful Chameleons supporting as well!

If we can help in any way with your trip to London I'm sure myself or others on here will be happy to offer some assistance...  :)


Thanks for the offer! I am really looking forward to it. I saw the Chamelons this past March in Somerville, MA. I was completely blown away. It was a small venue but packed and they put on a show as if they were playing in front of thousands of fans. I am looking forward to seeing them again. This is like a dream come true for me. I have seen NMA in the states 3 times (including the 30th anniversary show in Brooklyn) and twice in Germany. However, I have always wanted to see them in England.

Karsten

  • New
  • *
  • Posts: 40
Re: Do you think there'll be any new tracks at the Christmas dates?
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2026, 04:46:30 PM »
They used to do that a long time (e.g. Here comes the War & Fate December 1991), but I remember Justin saying in an interview once that they don’t do it anymore because the songs would end up online through social media etc. long before they were officially released, so that’s no longer an option.

K.

Master Ray

  • Totally Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 9754
  • Keep it going, friends...
Re: Do you think there'll be any new tracks at the Christmas dates?
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2026, 08:13:40 PM »
They used to do that a long time (e.g. Here comes the War & Fate December 1991), but I remember Justin saying in an interview once that they don’t do it anymore because the songs would end up online through social media etc. long before they were officially released, so that’s no longer an option.

K.

That's an excellent point.  The 90's aren't the same as the present day, no internet back then!  ;)

There's a band I love who toured recently who had a 'new' song played that they admitted was a work in progress for an album due out next year, they were all over YouTube deleting any footage of that tune...
... we might still get this Forum back to something like former glories!

Guillaume

  • Totally Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 1680
Re: Do you think there'll be any new tracks at the Christmas dates?
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2026, 10:12:11 PM »
I saw the Chamelons this past March in Somerville, MA. I was completely blown away. It was a small venue but packed and they put on a show as if they were playing in front of thousands of fans. I am looking forward to seeing them again.

It seems The Chameleons have had a bit of a comeback abroad in recent years, as I see they've played in America several times, and here in France, to coincide with the release of their latest album, they played several dates last year and this fall. It would be great if NMA could have this "comeback" in America, as they haven't played there since 2010, but economically, it's very complicated to tour in some countries when the fan base, while real, is small . On the other hand, there are american artists I'd love to see who almost never tour in Europa, so the frustration of not having the chance to see bands at home goes both ways! When I look at the countries NMA has toured, they've only played once in Japan (in 1985), and their first concerts in Australia and New Zealand were just last year! I consider myself very lucky in France to see the band almost every year... we're not far from England, even if NMA plays in small venues here.

I have seen NMA in the states 3 times (including the 30th anniversary show in Brooklyn)

The Brooklyn concerts for NMA's 30th anniversary must have been amazing, I imagine? A small, packed venue? In Paris for their 30th anniversary, both evenings were magical; I think they were my favorite NMA concerts in France, very moving. If you live in America and you like NMA, the 2000s were quite exciting because they came at least three times for the "Carnival," "High," and "Today is a Good Day" tours.



The Chameleons are playing this month in this cool little concert venue that NMA seems to really like (I've seen them there 4 times in 20 years), 150 kilometers from my town...:

 https://bigbandcafe.com/chameleons/

 I'm hesitating to go, and also interesting are the Alela Diane and Laura Cox concerts... it will depend on my budget this month... :-[

I would love to hear my personal favorite NMA song, "225".

What an incredible, timeless song! I listened to it again this afternoon... I've listened to "225," "I Love the World," "Ballad of Bodmin Pill," "Nothing Touches," "Family Life"—basically all of Thunder and Consolation—hundreds (probably thousands...) of times over the last 30 years... it's likely that this album (and also Justin's "Navigating by the Stars") will be with me until my last breath! NMADDICTION!  :)


 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2026, 10:54:38 PM by Guillaume »